Criminal law

We are specialists in criminal law and take on cases as public and private defenders, counsel for injured parties and special representatives for children.

Public defender

In all cases where you are suspected of a serious crime, a crime with a minimum sentence of six months in prison, or if you have been arrested, you are always entitled to a public defender. You may also be entitled to a public defender in some other cases, depending on the circumstances of the individual case.

The role of a defence lawyer is to help you, as the suspect, exercise your rights during the preliminary investigation and at any subsequent trial.

You are entitled to choose your own public defender and can invoke this right in contact with the police. The district court determines whether or not you are entitled to a public defender. The costs of a public defender are borne in the first instance by the state, although you may be liable for some of the defender’s fee, depending on your financial situation. If you are not entitled to a public defender, you can engage a private defender. In such circumstances, you will be responsible for all the costs yourself.

Counsel for injured parties

If you have been the victim of a crime and need legal assistance, you are entitled to choose whoever you wish to act as your counsel. When you report the crime to the police, you can give them the name of the person who you want to appoint as your counsel. The counsel looks after the interests of the injured party in the case, and provides help and support during the preliminary investigation and at any subsequent trial. Your counsel will also inform you if you are entitled to damages and will draw up any claim for damages. The counsel for an injury party is, in principle, always paid for by the state.

Special representative for children

Where there is suspicion that a child has been the victim of a crime committed by a family member or guardian, the child may need their own legal counsel. The district court may then appoint a special representative for the child. The special representative will be present and will help the child during the preliminary investigation, will speak on behalf of the child at any subsequent trial, and can submit any action for damages. A special representative for a child is always paid for by the state.